Want to venture beyond Fisherman’s Wharf and the cable cars on your family’s vacation to San Francisco?
Here is a map I put together of a driving tour “loop” you can do with your family if you’d like to see the beautiful beach at Crissy Field I posted about over the weekend, and some other scenic and fun sights in north-central San Francisco, including two favorite parts of Golden Gate Park.
You can start at whichever of these points is most convenient and travel counter-clockwise, though my directions begin at the Palace of Fine Arts and Exploratorium (the picnic table and yellow building icons at 1 o’clock) and end at the original Mel’s Drive-In restaurant for dinner (where Katherine Hepburn orders the Oregon Blackberry shake in “Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner?” and the set inspiration for American Graffiti).
View Travels with Baby: North San Francisco Loop in a larger map
On this self-drive tour:
1. Palace of Fine Arts
3. Crissy Field Picnic Area and Beach – Bayside
4. Golden Gate Bridge Overlook (camera)
5. Baker Beach – Pacific side
6. Stowe Lake with Boat and Bike Rentals – Golden Gate Park
7. Conservatory of Flowers and lawn
8. Mel’s Original Drive-In diner (hamburger and shake, of course)
Click here to get the larger map with driving directions between points.
All content of this blog (c) Shelly Rivoli 2007 – 2011
Silver Award Winner in Travel Blogs from the North American Travel Journalists Association
- Need to Know: Flying American Airlines with a baby or toddler
- Seattle: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for a great road trip with a baby, toddler, or preschooler
- Pack This! The roadtrip-ready Ciao! Baby portable high chair
- Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for camping with babies and toddlers (and preschoolers!)
- RideSafer 2 travel vest winner + 5 pages to bookmark
- Last call! Win a RideSafer travel vest + Travels with Baby guidebook
- Shelly Rivoli on Need to Know: Flying Ryanair with a baby or toddler
- Shelly Rivoli on Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Shelly Rivoli on Your questions: Babysitter for Kauai vacation, double stroller for Netherlands in November?
- Travel Baby Amsterdam on Your questions: Babysitter for Kauai vacation, double stroller for Netherlands in November?
- Farrah (@Momofthreeunder) on Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
Tagsairlines air travel animals Ask Shelly awards beach blog books budget California camping car seats Costa Rica Europe family travel food France gear giveaway green travel guest post Hawaii health holiday travel Jamaica Kauai Maui Oregon outdoor Pack This Paris parks Photo Fave road trips roundup safety San Francisco sleep Spain tips Tip Tuesday traditions travel toys TSA Yosemite