|Ticks, biting flies, mosquitoes be warned: this mom’s in no mood for shenanigans.|
From our first camping trips with our firstborn–and when we soon after hauled her off to southeast Asia at 7 months old, right up to our recent travels in Costa Rica with our third toddler in tow, I know that finding a DEET-free insect repellent that’s safe to use on babies and young children remains as important an issue for those of us taking the kids on a hike in the tick-riddled hills near home as for those heading off to camp at the lake–or hike near the big volcano.
When I saw there is also a glorious family-size pop-up canister of these wipes available, I couldn’t help but think this is the perfect centerpiece for our picnic table the next time we camp in Yosemite Valley in early summer. While that’s not where we’re headed this camping trip, some remaining Buzz Away Extreme wipes are already in my backpack.
For those who are interested, I cover the topic of “Managing Mosquitoes” in detail in Travels with Baby, including important considerations about malaria and young children and the use of anti-malarial drugs in both children and breastfeeding women. You’ll also find tips on finding less risky zones for travel and finding fewer mosquitoes altogether, plus more DEET-free ways to protect your baby from mosquito-borne illness during travel.
* In case you’re wondering, I’ve paid for all my insect repellents (and there have been many) out of my own pocket. As always, my opinions remain my own. And as always, use products according to the manufacturer’s instructions and with a healthy dose of common sense.
All content of this blog (c) Shelly Rivoli
- "99 of the Best Travel Blogs" from TravelBlogs.com "10 Best Family Travel Blogs" from Blogs.com "Top 10 Family Travel Blogs" from TripBase.com "Top 25 Travel Blogs for Families" and "#2 for Insider Tips and Tricks" from Babble.com
Like this page? Please share!
- Kauai’s best north shore beaches for kids
- Quinny Yezz travel stroller sweepstakes! ($279 value)
- Photo Fave: My Mother’s Day… by jeep!
- Photo Fave: Travels with Grandma, reaching new heights in Costa Rica
- Pack This! Speedo easy-packing swim vest for toddlers and little kids
- The best playground in Paris? Say bonjour to Parc de Jeux.
- Photo Fave: Iao Valley banyan tree, Maui
- The 5 best places to visit California’s giant redwoods and giant sequoias
- Puerto Rico with Kids: San Juan’s 5 Best Activities for Kids Under 5
- Photo Fave: Shark tunnel at Maui Ocean Center
- Maui Ocean Center with kids: Our visit to the Hawaiian Aquarium
- How to find Maui’s north shore Baby Beach – when you need it most