|Ticks, biting flies, mosquitoes be warned: this mom’s in no mood for shenanigans.|
From our first camping trips with our firstborn–and when we soon after hauled her off to southeast Asia at 7 months old, right up to our recent travels in Costa Rica with our third toddler in tow, I know that finding a DEET-free insect repellent that’s safe to use on babies and young children remains as important an issue for those of us taking the kids on a hike in the tick-riddled hills near home as for those heading off to camp at the lake–or hike near the big volcano.
When I saw there is also a glorious family-size pop-up canister of these wipes available, I couldn’t help but think this is the perfect centerpiece for our picnic table the next time we camp in Yosemite Valley in early summer. While that’s not where we’re headed this camping trip, some remaining Buzz Away Extreme wipes are already in my backpack.
For those who are interested, I cover the topic of “Managing Mosquitoes” in detail in Travels with Baby, including important considerations about malaria and young children and the use of anti-malarial drugs in both children and breastfeeding women. You’ll also find tips on finding less risky zones for travel and finding fewer mosquitoes altogether, plus more DEET-free ways to protect your baby from mosquito-borne illness during travel.
* In case you’re wondering, I’ve paid for all my insect repellents (and there have been many) out of my own pocket. As always, my opinions remain my own. And as always, use products according to the manufacturer’s instructions and with a healthy dose of common sense.
All content of this blog (c) Shelly Rivoli
Silver Award Winner in Travel Blogs from the North American Travel Journalists Association
- Ask Shelly: Best car seat for flying when kids are too big CARES?
- New Goodreads book giveaway and… tonight’s East Bay event!
- Need to Know: Flying American Airlines with a baby or toddler
- Seattle: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for a great road trip with a baby, toddler, or preschooler
- Pack This! The roadtrip-ready Ciao! Baby portable high chair
- Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for camping with babies and toddlers (and preschoolers!)
- gina on Ask Shelly: Best winter weekend getaway with a baby in Northern California?
- Jenille Cristy on Need to Know: Flying American Airlines with a baby or toddler
- Shelly Rivoli on Need to Know: Flying Ryanair with a baby or toddler
- Shelly Rivoli on Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Shelly Rivoli on Your questions: Babysitter for Kauai vacation, double stroller for Netherlands in November?
Tagsairlines air travel animals Ask Shelly awards beach blog books budget California camping car seats Costa Rica Europe family travel food France gear giveaway green travel guest post Hawaii health holiday travel Jamaica Kauai Maui Oregon outdoor Pack This Paris parks Photo Fave road trips roundup safety San Francisco sleep Spain tips Tip Tuesday traditions travel toys TSA Yosemite