One of the things I often heard from skeptics, after Travels with Baby first came out, was “Why waste travel on such young kids when they won’t remember it? When they won’t even enjoy it?” Particularly overseas travel–what’s to gain by dragging young children half-way around the world, through stuffy museums, crowded markets? Someone once even suggested I should have saved our money until our kids were old enough to remember traveling and then take them to Disneyland, where “they would at least have fun.”
For these people, I have always felt, it’s clear travel shouldn’t be wasted on them. Here is my daughter at four years old in the British Museum, surprising me with her fascination for and questions about the amazing clocks that I admit I never expected would be so interesting to see, especially to a child. They were intriguing to me, but through her eyes they were magic.
Not surprisingly, she still remembers this day… followed by playing outside in the snow on Russell Square.
This post is part of the Photo Friday Fun at DeliciousBaby.com. Have a great weekend!
Silver Award Winner in Travel Blogs from the North American Travel Journalists Association
- Need to Know: Flying American Airlines with a baby or toddler
- Seattle: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for a great road trip with a baby, toddler, or preschooler
- Pack This! The roadtrip-ready Ciao! Baby portable high chair
- Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for camping with babies and toddlers (and preschoolers!)
- RideSafer 2 travel vest winner + 5 pages to bookmark
- Last call! Win a RideSafer travel vest + Travels with Baby guidebook
- Jenille Cristy on Need to Know: Flying American Airlines with a baby or toddler
- Shelly Rivoli on Need to Know: Flying Ryanair with a baby or toddler
- Shelly Rivoli on Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Shelly Rivoli on Your questions: Babysitter for Kauai vacation, double stroller for Netherlands in November?
- Travel Baby Amsterdam on Your questions: Babysitter for Kauai vacation, double stroller for Netherlands in November?
Tagsairlines air travel animals Ask Shelly awards beach blog books budget California camping car seats Costa Rica Europe family travel food France gear giveaway green travel guest post Hawaii health holiday travel Jamaica Kauai Maui Oregon outdoor Pack This Paris parks Photo Fave road trips roundup safety San Francisco sleep Spain tips Tip Tuesday traditions travel toys TSA Yosemite