This is the metaphorical heart of the Rick Steves-recommended gem on the Costa del Sol: the small city of Nerja, Spain (thanks, Rick!). Straight ahead is the church whose bell tower we watched glowing at night from our apartment and whose bells we listened to from our balcony when service was called. Just out of view to the left begins the promenade that juts out to the “Balcony of Europe” (more on that later). Just out of view to the right is a shop serving up what are arguably the best ice cream cones in Nerja. And behind us, just past the tiled Lion fountain, begin the steps down to Calahonda Beach–the most photographed beach at Nerja.
As the gravitational center of tourism in the town, you might marvel at the quiet glow we were enjoying at dusk on this particular evening (I’ll remind you that people eat LATE in Spain – it’s easy to beat the crowd with kids!). But that’s part of the beauty of traveling in mid or low season.
It’s been a little crazy around here lately, 3 birthdays at our house this past month, interlude of flu, preparing for another book printing, planning our next international trip, and so on. Nice to take a moment to just pause and appreciate where we’ve been so far – I encourage you to do the same! This post is part of Photo Friday at DeliciousBaby.com.
All content of this blog (c) Shelly Rivoli 2007 – 2011
- "99 of the Best Travel Blogs" from TravelBlogs.com "10 Best Family Travel Blogs" from Blogs.com "Top 10 Family Travel Blogs" from TripBase.com "Top 25 Travel Blogs for Families" and "#2 for Insider Tips and Tricks" from Babble.com
- Photo Fave: My Mother’s Day… by jeep!
- Photo Fave: Travels with Grandma, reaching new heights in Costa Rica
- Pack This! Speedo easy-packing swim vest for toddlers and little kids
- The best playground in Paris? Say bonjour to Parc de Jeux.
- Photo Fave: Iao Valley banyan tree, Maui
- The 5 best places to visit California’s giant redwoods and giant sequoias
- Puerto Rico with Kids: San Juan’s 5 Best Activities for Kids Under 5
- Photo Fave: Shark tunnel at Maui Ocean Center