|The sand beach and picnic area at Crissy Field, San Francisco.|
By the time we walked onto this beach at the Crissy Field picnic area (shown above), with the Golden Gate Bridge looming to our left, the lovely view of San Francisco with the Palace of Fine Arts dome and Marina District to our right, and stream of sailboats racing before us, I realized this is one place I simply have to bring everyone who comes to visit–including those of you reading this blog.
Crissy Field is near the Palace of Fine Arts, the Exploratorium (until it’s relocated later next year), the San Francisco overlook of the Golden Gate Bridge, and is bordered by the historic Presidio. There is a great walking and biking trail along the area, and you can stroll out onto that “Dock of the Bay” shown in the background if you like. Parking is free here but very competitive on the weekends, so visit on a weekday if possible during your vacation, or arrive early.
Also nearby is another of my favorite San Francisco beaches: Baker Beach, which is located just on the Pacific side of the Golden Gate Bridge (opposite of here). Both beaches can be windy and cold (note: this is not San Diego!), so be sure to bring jackets and hats unless you find yourself here on an unusually warm and gorgeous day such as we had.
Related posts and pages:
Exploring San Francisco’s Exploratorium with kids
To the Lighthouse: A visit to Point Bonita
Picnic at the Palace of Fine Arts
Go Dutch in Golden Gate Park at the Queen Wilhelmina Windmill
See all San Francisco tips and posts
- Review of Napili Kai Beach Resort, Maui
- Paris with Kids: Make a post-Louvre pit stop at this playground in the Tuileries
- Ask Shelly: Recommended backpack diaper bag for travel?
- Paris with Kids: Why and how to get the Paris Museum Pass for your family’s visit
- Quinny Yezz winner and… what would you like to see next?
- Last chance! Enter to win the Quinny Yezz travel stroller ($279 value)
- Pack This! Family road trip tunes from Ziggy Marley
- Kauai’s best north shore beaches for kids
- Quinny Yezz travel stroller sweepstakes! ($279 value)
- Photo Fave: My Mother’s Day… by jeep!
- Photo Fave: Travels with Grandma, reaching new heights in Costa Rica
- Pack This! Speedo easy-packing swim vest for toddlers and little kids
- Shelly Rivoli on Ask Shelly: Best ages for France trip with baby and toddler?
- Catherine on Ask Shelly: How to help a baby adjust to a 9-hour time change and jet lag?
- Catherine on Ask Shelly: Best ages for France trip with baby and toddler?
- Shelly Rivoli on My recommended Paris airport shuttle providing car seats and boosters?
- Brittany on My recommended Paris airport shuttle providing car seats and boosters?
Tagsairlines air travel animals Ask Shelly awards beach blog books budget California camping car seats Costa Rica family-travel family travel food France gear giveaway green travel guest post Hawaii health holiday travel Italy Jamaica Kauai Maui New York Oregon outdoor Pack This Paris parks Photo Fave road trips safety San Francisco sleep Spain tips Tip Tuesday toys traditions TSA