When I mentioned the upcoming National Park Week and related Earth Day events earlier this week, I couldn’t help but think about the amazing State Parks California also has to offer that shouldn’t be overlooked by those planning travel here with their kids.
For example, Humboldt Redwoods State Park (above) is just one of several parks featuring enormous redwoods and several toddler-friendly hikes along California’s “Avenue of the Giants.” There are so many lovely groves to explore and shady pitstops for picnics along this section of northern California’s Highway 101, that you’ll want to be sure to drive at least a portion of the scenic 31-mile “Old Highway 101″ rather than the nearby modern freeway version of it. For a printable map of the Avenue of the Giants, click here, and to see descriptions and details of hikes at Humbolt Redwoods, click here.
Another California State Park featuring massive redwood giants with toddler-friendly hiking and a nice campground – which is often argued should be a National Park - is Big Trees Calaveras State Park, which is roughly 3 hours east of San Francisco. You can read about one of our visits to Big Trees in this post and get my tips for camping at Big Trees Calaveras in this post.
Silver Award Winner in Travel Blogs from the North American Travel Journalists Association
- Need to Know: Flying American Airlines with a baby or toddler
- Seattle: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for a great road trip with a baby, toddler, or preschooler
- Pack This! The roadtrip-ready Ciao! Baby portable high chair
- Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for camping with babies and toddlers (and preschoolers!)
- RideSafer 2 travel vest winner + 5 pages to bookmark
- Last call! Win a RideSafer travel vest + Travels with Baby guidebook
- Shelly Rivoli on Need to Know: Flying Ryanair with a baby or toddler
- Shelly Rivoli on Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Shelly Rivoli on Your questions: Babysitter for Kauai vacation, double stroller for Netherlands in November?
- Travel Baby Amsterdam on Your questions: Babysitter for Kauai vacation, double stroller for Netherlands in November?
- Farrah (@Momofthreeunder) on Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
Tagsairlines air travel animals Ask Shelly awards beach blog books budget California camping car seats Costa Rica Europe family travel food France gear giveaway green travel guest post Hawaii health holiday travel Jamaica Kauai Maui Oregon outdoor Pack This Paris parks Photo Fave road trips roundup safety San Francisco sleep Spain tips Tip Tuesday traditions travel toys TSA Yosemite