When setting out to travel with a baby, it can be tempting to pack everything including the kitchen sink—or at least the infant bathtub that fits it. And when you’ll be flying with your baby, what more logical place could there be to keep it all than in your diaper bag?
That is, until you hear the rhythmical thud of said overstuffed satchel whapping the aisle seats—and fellow passengers—as you make your way to the lavatory aft with your infant in your arms.
At last you reach the lavatory, the one with the diaper changing table inside. Except, you find as you cross the threshold while clinging to your wee traveler, you can’t actually reach the lavatory changing table because the commodious diaper bag is trapped on the opposite side of the folding doorway.
With babe in arms, you stand caught between what seemed like responsible parenting (packed and ready for anything in flight) and enlightenment (I could have left 90% of this back at my seat).
My friend, you need a “diaper purse.”
- With just a couple of diapers, a travel-size pack of wipes, and a small tube of diaper cream in your travel purse, you’ll have everything you need to get the job done efficiently (just use a fresh paper towel from the lavatory to line the changing table).
- Better still, wear a cross-body purse to keep these essentials handy at your hip (instead of on a wet or otherwise questionable surface) and both hands free to the task.
- Just remember to re-stock your diaper purse as neededfrom your diaper bag or day pack, and you’ll always be ready for changes on the fly.
Want to do an even better deed and help a family in need?
Pack along these limited-edition Huggies Hawaiian Diapers and Wipes this summer, and Huggies Every Little Bottom will donate a day’s worth of diapers to the National Diaper Bank Network for each pack sold! Follow the links below for more information and please help me spread the word about this great program.
Related posts and pages:
Dressed cute for a cause in Kauai
Many more tips for diapering on the go in Take-Along Travels with Baby.
Silver Award Winner in Travel Blogs from the North American Travel Journalists Association
- Need to Know: Flying American Airlines with a baby or toddler
- Seattle: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for a great road trip with a baby, toddler, or preschooler
- Pack This! The roadtrip-ready Ciao! Baby portable high chair
- Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for camping with babies and toddlers (and preschoolers!)
- RideSafer 2 travel vest winner + 5 pages to bookmark
- Last call! Win a RideSafer travel vest + Travels with Baby guidebook
- Shelly Rivoli on Need to Know: Flying Ryanair with a baby or toddler
- Shelly Rivoli on Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Shelly Rivoli on Your questions: Babysitter for Kauai vacation, double stroller for Netherlands in November?
- Travel Baby Amsterdam on Your questions: Babysitter for Kauai vacation, double stroller for Netherlands in November?
- Farrah (@Momofthreeunder) on Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
Tagsairlines air travel animals Ask Shelly awards beach blog books budget California camping car seats Costa Rica Europe family travel food France gear giveaway green travel guest post Hawaii health holiday travel Jamaica Kauai Maui Oregon outdoor Pack This Paris parks Photo Fave road trips roundup safety San Francisco sleep Spain tips Tip Tuesday traditions travel toys TSA Yosemite