Here are a few tips for stretching your family’s vacation dollars on a trip to San Diego.
We chose the San Diego Zoo as our “main event” for this visit, first because it seemed the most age-appropriate for our daughters at this time (2.5 and 4.5 years), and also offered many changes of pace and interesting transportation throughout, including an aerial tram and buses (a.k.a. chances to get me off my feet since I’m pregnant). When I found out all children were free for the month of October, that was even better.
Don’t miss your chance to hang out on San Diego’s great free beaches, stroll through its scenic walking districts, and simply soak up that SoCal vibe while you’re in the area. Some of my favorite moments from this trip were absolutely free: watching a mom roll along on a skateboard with her toddler on her hip, watching my family insist on staying in the sand at Mission Beach until well after the sun had set, and of course watching a glorious sun set into the Pacific with my own toes in the sand.
A good hotel can also be part of a great San Diego family vacation, but for one with great family amenities and a primo location, you’ll generally have to pay through the nose. Using Hotwire.com, however, we really were able to get a 4 star hotel at the going rate for 2 star hotels in town just as they advertise.
- "99 of the Best Travel Blogs" from TravelBlogs.com "10 Best Family Travel Blogs" from Blogs.com "Top 10 Family Travel Blogs" from TripBase.com "Top 25 Travel Blogs for Families" and "#2 for Insider Tips and Tricks" from Babble.com
Like this page? Please share!
- Photo Fave: My Mother’s Day… by jeep!
- Photo Fave: Travels with Grandma, reaching new heights in Costa Rica
- Pack This! Speedo easy-packing swim vest for toddlers and little kids
- The best playground in Paris? Say bonjour to Parc de Jeux.
- Photo Fave: Iao Valley banyan tree, Maui
- The 5 best places to visit California’s giant redwoods and giant sequoias
- Puerto Rico with Kids: San Juan’s 5 Best Activities for Kids Under 5
- Photo Fave: Shark tunnel at Maui Ocean Center
- Maui Ocean Center with kids: Our visit to the Hawaiian Aquarium
- How to find Maui’s north shore Baby Beach – when you need it most
- Maui’s Ulua Beach: Today I am a Mom
- Photo Fave: Hello, Maui – can you guess this beach?