Last weekend, we traveled to Monterey to help celebrate two very special birthdays in my family, plus the 25th anniversary of the world class Monterey Bay Aquarium. While it goes without saying that the aquarium is glorious and is a must-see for any family traveling to or through Monterey, CA, it’s the unexpected OTHER attraction that I’m even more excited to share. (And unlike the aquarium, it’s free!)
“Dennis the Menace Playground” is located in the heart of El Estero Park in Monterey, on a small peninsula surrounded by waters navigable by rented paddle boat. The sprawling play park was created by the author of the Dennis the Menace comic strip as a gift to the city, and has something for kids of all ages, with baby swings and a separate fenced toddler playground on up to a climbing wall and skate park for teens.
Its more unique features include the wide suspension bridge, a small shrub labyrinth with play structure in the center, and the fabulous red-roller slide popular with preschoolers and tweens alike. The retired Southern Pacific steam engine at the entrance is also a popular climbing structure.
More tips for your visit:
- Bring a picnic or buy burgers and refreshments at the booth on the parking lot.
- The playground is open daily from 10 a.m. to dusk, and is closed on non-holiday Tuesdays Sept. through May.
- The Monterey Municipal Beach is across Del Monte Ave. from the park and offers great late-day lighting for pictures with its rare (for the West Coast) northern orientation.
- Click here to see a Google map with Dennis the Menace Playground.
Reminder: $50 gift certificate giveaway in progress!
Let Jet Set Babies ship your baby or toddler essentials to your next vacation destination (or heck, your home!). Baby food, toddler meals, diapers, wipes, sun block, infant formula, and more. Enter to win a $50 gift certificate!
This post is part of Photo Friday at Deliciousbaby.com. Head over there for more fun travel shots and ideas for your own travels.
- Review of Napili Kai Beach Resort, Maui
- Paris with Kids: Make a post-Louvre pit stop at this playground in the Tuileries
- Ask Shelly: Recommended backpack diaper bag for travel?
- Paris with Kids: Why and how to get the Paris Museum Pass for your family’s visit
- Quinny Yezz winner and… what would you like to see next?
- Last chance! Enter to win the Quinny Yezz travel stroller ($279 value)
- Pack This! Family road trip tunes from Ziggy Marley
- Kauai’s best north shore beaches for kids
- Quinny Yezz travel stroller sweepstakes! ($279 value)
- Photo Fave: My Mother’s Day… by jeep!
- Photo Fave: Travels with Grandma, reaching new heights in Costa Rica
- Pack This! Speedo easy-packing swim vest for toddlers and little kids
- Shelly Rivoli on Ask Shelly: Best ages for France trip with baby and toddler?
- Catherine on Ask Shelly: How to help a baby adjust to a 9-hour time change and jet lag?
- Catherine on Ask Shelly: Best ages for France trip with baby and toddler?
- Shelly Rivoli on My recommended Paris airport shuttle providing car seats and boosters?
- Brittany on My recommended Paris airport shuttle providing car seats and boosters?
Tagsairlines air travel animals Ask Shelly awards beach blog books budget California camping car seats Costa Rica family-travel family travel food France gear giveaway green travel guest post Hawaii health holiday travel Italy Jamaica Kauai Maui New York Oregon outdoor Pack This Paris parks Photo Fave road trips safety San Francisco sleep Spain tips Tip Tuesday toys traditions TSA