|Question: Are we almost there yet? Answer: No, we’re still loading the car..|
For many, the phrase “family road trip” calls to mind images of sunshine on long, winding highways, with picnics at scenic turnouts and state parks along the way. Even at lackluster interstate Rest Areas, there is generally room for the kids to run and chase a beach ball or otherwise burn off energy.
Holiday road tripping for many of us, however, is a whole other cup of (drive-thru) coffee. Trapped for hours behind seat belts and five-point harnesses, you may slog along for hours in heavy holiday traffic to the tune of windshield wipers and a whining toddler.
How to break up the monotony and bring comfort and joy to the back seat companions who may begin to doubt there are relatives or gifts at the end of the drive? Here three of my favorites, taken from the Driving and Road Trips section of Take-Along Travelswith Baby. In most any town you’ll pass by, you’re likely to find these “Best -Bet RainyDay Road Stops” on your road trip with young kids.
The Local Library – Brimming with books, restrooms (most with a changing table), drinking fountains, and occasionally interesting art displays. Most towns have signs to help point you in the right direction to find it as well.
Pet Store - Stretch your legs and feast your eyes on things that slither and gobble up flies. Birds and fish are sure to please, plus furry rodents who dream of cheese.
One Dollar Store – Chock full of toys and art supplies, coloring books and often snacks, and found in numerous strip malls across the continent. What better place to let your child choose a souvenir and snack for the next stretch of road?
You’ll find more Best-Bet Rainy Day Road Stops recommendations, and dozens of ideas to help with your “Entertainment to Go” in the car, at the airport, and on the airplane, in Take-Along Travels with Baby (you might want to keep yours in the glovebox – you never know when those “Easy Songs to Sing in the Car” will buy you an extra 20 minutes of drive time.)
How about you?
Will your family be on the road over the holidays? Do you have a favorite stop where you break up your drive – even in foul weather? (Email subscribers click here to share your comment in the blog.)
Author of the award-winning Travels with Baby guidebooks
All content of this blog (c) Shelly Rivoli 2007 – 2012
Tagged with: road trips
- "99 of the Best Travel Blogs" from TravelBlogs.com "10 Best Family Travel Blogs" from Blogs.com "Top 10 Family Travel Blogs" from TripBase.com "Top 25 Travel Blogs for Families" and "#2 for Insider Tips and Tricks" from Babble.com
- Paris with Kids: Make a post-Louvre pit stop at this playground in the Tuileries
- Ask Shelly: Recommended backpack diaper bag for travel?
- Paris with Kids: Why and how to get the Paris Museum Pass for your family’s visit
- Quinny Yezz winner and… what would you like to see next?
- Last chance! Enter to win the Quinny Yezz travel stroller ($279 value)
- Pack This! Family road trip tunes from Ziggy Marley
- Kauai’s best north shore beaches for kids
- Quinny Yezz travel stroller sweepstakes! ($279 value)
- Photo Fave: My Mother’s Day… by jeep!
- Photo Fave: Travels with Grandma, reaching new heights in Costa Rica
- Pack This! Speedo easy-packing swim vest for toddlers and little kids
- The best playground in Paris? Say bonjour to Parc de Jeux.