A mom recently asked me what to expect in the way of baggage fees now that she and her husband will be flying with a baby over the holidays. Here’s an overview of what you might expect this season…
- If you are flying with a car seat or stroller, virtually all major airlines are still allowing parents to check car seats and collapsible strollers for no additional fee, whether their child is flying free on a lap or in a paid seat. (See details from United, American, JetBlue.) One exception I’ve come across is Southwest, where strollers may be checked for free, but a child’s car seat plus second piece of “baby gear” may be substituted for the one free first suitcase they grant a ticketed adult or child passenger (details here).
- If your baby is flying free as a “lap child” on a domestic flight, be aware that babies flying free aren’t generally allowed a checked bag, so be prepared that if your checked items outnumber paid seats, you will be subject to a second checked bag fee (whatever that is for the airline you’re flying).
- If you are flying internationally with a “lap child” (at 10% the adult ticket price), your child may actually be entitled to one checked bag (at the airline’s going rate for a first checked suitcase). Call the reservations number for your airline to be sure.
- If your child under 2 years is flying in a paid seat with a discounted “infant fare,” he or she is entitled to the same baggage allowance–and fees set forth for regular passengers (in addition to any free stroller or car seat allowances by the airline).
For more help finding airlines offering the best discounts and perks for families flying with babies and small children (infant and child discounted fares, family preboarding, availability of diaper changing stations, bassinets, free baby food & diapers, free luggage allowances for infants, child menus, etc.), head to Part 5 of Travels with Baby, where you’ll find plenty of tips and practical advice for Travels by Airplane.
Shelly Rivoli, author of the award-winning guide Travels with Baby
PUBLISHER’S DISCOUNT – Get 15% off Travels with Baby & qualify for FREE Super Saver shipping when you buy from “Travels with Baby Books”
Silver Award Winner in Travel Blogs from the North American Travel Journalists Association
- Seattle: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for a great road trip with a baby, toddler, or preschooler
- Pack This! The roadtrip-ready Ciao! Baby portable high chair
- Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for camping with babies and toddlers (and preschoolers!)
- RideSafer 2 travel vest winner + 5 pages to bookmark
- Last call! Win a RideSafer travel vest + Travels with Baby guidebook
- Need to Know: Flying Ryanair with a baby or toddler
- Plan unforgettble Road Trip on Five easy ways to “green” your next family road trip
- Aquademica on Seattle: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Shelly Rivoli on Need to Know: Flying Ryanair with a baby or toddler
- Shelly Rivoli on Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Shelly Rivoli on Your questions: Babysitter for Kauai vacation, double stroller for Netherlands in November?
Tagsairlines air travel animals Ask Shelly awards beach blog books budget California camping car seats Costa Rica Europe family travel food France gear giveaway green travel guest post Hawaii health holiday travel Jamaica Kauai Maui Oregon outdoor Pack This Paris parks Photo Fave road trips roundup safety San Francisco sleep Spain tips Tip Tuesday traditions travel toys TSA Yosemite