A mom recently asked me what to expect in the way of baggage fees now that she and her husband will be flying with a baby over the holidays. Here’s an overview of what you might expect this season…
- If you are flying with a car seat or stroller, virtually all major airlines are still allowing parents to check car seats and collapsible strollers for no additional fee, whether their child is flying free on a lap or in a paid seat. (See details from United, American, JetBlue.) One exception I’ve come across is Southwest, where strollers may be checked for free, but a child’s car seat plus second piece of “baby gear” may be substituted for the one free first suitcase they grant a ticketed adult or child passenger (details here).
- If your baby is flying free as a “lap child” on a domestic flight, be aware that babies flying free aren’t generally allowed a checked bag, so be prepared that if your checked items outnumber paid seats, you will be subject to a second checked bag fee (whatever that is for the airline you’re flying).
- If you are flying internationally with a “lap child” (at 10% the adult ticket price), your child may actually be entitled to one checked bag (at the airline’s going rate for a first checked suitcase). Call the reservations number for your airline to be sure.
- If your child under 2 years is flying in a paid seat with a discounted “infant fare,” he or she is entitled to the same baggage allowance–and fees set forth for regular passengers (in addition to any free stroller or car seat allowances by the airline).
For more help finding airlines offering the best discounts and perks for families flying with babies and small children (infant and child discounted fares, family preboarding, availability of diaper changing stations, bassinets, free baby food & diapers, free luggage allowances for infants, child menus, etc.), head to Part 5 of Travels with Baby, where you’ll find plenty of tips and practical advice for Travels by Airplane.
Shelly Rivoli, author of the award-winning guide Travels with Baby
PUBLISHER’S DISCOUNT – Get 15% off Travels with Baby & qualify for FREE Super Saver shipping when you buy from “Travels with Baby Books”
- "99 of the Best Travel Blogs" from TravelBlogs.com "10 Best Family Travel Blogs" from Blogs.com "Top 10 Family Travel Blogs" from TripBase.com "Top 25 Travel Blogs for Families" and "#2 for Insider Tips and Tricks" from Babble.com
Like this page? Please share!
- Quinny Yezz travel stroller sweepstakes! ($279 value)
- Photo Fave: My Mother’s Day… by jeep!
- Photo Fave: Travels with Grandma, reaching new heights in Costa Rica
- Pack This! Speedo easy-packing swim vest for toddlers and little kids
- The best playground in Paris? Say bonjour to Parc de Jeux.
- Photo Fave: Iao Valley banyan tree, Maui
- The 5 best places to visit California’s giant redwoods and giant sequoias
- Puerto Rico with Kids: San Juan’s 5 Best Activities for Kids Under 5
- Photo Fave: Shark tunnel at Maui Ocean Center
- Maui Ocean Center with kids: Our visit to the Hawaiian Aquarium
- How to find Maui’s north shore Baby Beach – when you need it most
- Maui’s Ulua Beach: Today I am a Mom