Having survived thousands of miles of road trips with diaper-clad co-pilots, I can tell you one thing with certainty: diaper changing facilities are few and far between along America’s great highways. Rest Areas are generally not equipped, and it never fails to surprise me how even the fast food restaurant with the 2-story play structure and high chairs lining the wall never seems to have a place for changing diapers in the restroom.
Not to worry. When you set up your own quick-change station in your car, you’ll be good to go. To prepare for diaper changes on your next road trip:
- Stash a few diapers, a travel-pack of diaper wipes and pack of antibacterial hand wipes in your glove box for quick access during front-seat changes.
- Keep a baby blanket or changing mat handy (flannel-backed vinyl works well) to protect the seat.
- If you have “bucket seats” or an emergency break in between the front seats of your car, bring along a firm pillow from home to even out the surface beneath your changing mat (also helpful for bottle- or breastfeeding breaks along the way, and napping).
- Have a large slide-lock plastic bag on hand to stow away diapers when a waste bin is not immediately available.
- Use the antibacterial hand wipes to freshen hands afterward.
And remember, if you pack along these vacation-ready Huggies Hawaiian Diapers and Wipes for your trip, Huggies Every Little Bottom will donate a day’s worth of diapers to families in need for every pack purchased this summer! Read all about it in my post Dressed cute for a cause in Kauai.
Want more tips for road trips with your baby or toddler this summer?
- Do not pass go, but head directly to the “Travels by Car” tips page for more quick tips and advice.
- Find all the planning help you can handle for successful family road trips with young children in Part 4 of Travels with Baby, and in related sections on temperament, packing, and more.
- As you travel, keep hundreds of on-the-go tips at your finger tips to help in the car, in restaurants, in hotel rooms, in airports, on airplanes, in foreign countries, and more with the pocket-size Take-Along Travels with Baby.
How about you? Do you have a great on-the-go diaper changing tip? Please share in comments below!
Silver Award Winner in Travel Blogs from the North American Travel Journalists Association
- Seattle: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for a great road trip with a baby, toddler, or preschooler
- Pack This! The roadtrip-ready Ciao! Baby portable high chair
- Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for camping with babies and toddlers (and preschoolers!)
- RideSafer 2 travel vest winner + 5 pages to bookmark
- Last call! Win a RideSafer travel vest + Travels with Baby guidebook
- Need to Know: Flying Ryanair with a baby or toddler
- Aquademica on Seattle: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Shelly Rivoli on Need to Know: Flying Ryanair with a baby or toddler
- Shelly Rivoli on Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Shelly Rivoli on Your questions: Babysitter for Kauai vacation, double stroller for Netherlands in November?
- Travel Baby Amsterdam on Your questions: Babysitter for Kauai vacation, double stroller for Netherlands in November?
Tagsairlines air travel animals Ask Shelly awards beach blog books budget California camping car seats Costa Rica Europe family travel food France gear giveaway green travel guest post Hawaii health holiday travel Jamaica Kauai Maui Oregon outdoor Pack This Paris parks Photo Fave road trips roundup safety San Francisco sleep Spain tips Tip Tuesday traditions travel toys TSA Yosemite