Many travelers are surprised to learn that Costa Rica, though still categorized as a developing nation and famed for its rugged and largely unpaved roads, has car seat laws. What may surprise traveling parents even more, however, is to learn that those car seat and safety booster laws are actually stricter than current child passenger safety laws in California—or elsewhere in the United States.
Fortunately, most major airlines still grant passengers free checked or gate-checked car seats and boosters (call your airline if you’re not sure). But if you have already discarded your booster once used by your 11-year-old and have no immediate plans of travel to the U.K. or anywhere else he might still need one, or you want to travel as light as possible to Costa Rica, you can opt to rent a car seat or booster along with your rental car, with rates ranging from $5 per day per car seat or booster from Thrifty SJO to Avis’s unknown rate TBD at time of rental (no thanks!).
How about you?
Do you have a helpful Costa Rica travel tip or suggestion for families? Comment below or contact me about sharing your recommendations.
Related posts and pages:
5 Best with Children Under 5: Costa Rica, Santa Teresa / Malpais
5 things I wish I’d known before moving my children to Costa Rica
Best car seats for travel
Car seat alternatives for travel
P.S. I should mention that I found Vamos 4×4 on my own and they did not sponsor this post, nor are they giving me a free set of wheels in Costa Rica.
Copyright notice: All content of this blog (c) 2007 – 2011 Shelly Rivoli
Silver Award Winner in Travel Blogs from the North American Travel Journalists Association
- New Goodreads book giveaway and… tonight’s East Bay event!
- Need to Know: Flying American Airlines with a baby or toddler
- Seattle: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for a great road trip with a baby, toddler, or preschooler
- Pack This! The roadtrip-ready Ciao! Baby portable high chair
- Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Roundup: Top tips for camping with babies and toddlers (and preschoolers!)
- RideSafer 2 travel vest winner + 5 pages to bookmark
- gina on Ask Shelly: Best winter weekend getaway with a baby in Northern California?
- Jenille Cristy on Need to Know: Flying American Airlines with a baby or toddler
- Shelly Rivoli on Need to Know: Flying Ryanair with a baby or toddler
- Shelly Rivoli on Amsterdam: 5 Best with Kids Under 5
- Shelly Rivoli on Your questions: Babysitter for Kauai vacation, double stroller for Netherlands in November?
Tagsairlines air travel animals Ask Shelly awards beach blog books budget California camping car seats Costa Rica Europe family travel food France gear giveaway green travel guest post Hawaii health holiday travel Jamaica Kauai Maui Oregon outdoor Pack This Paris parks Photo Fave road trips roundup safety San Francisco sleep Spain tips Tip Tuesday traditions travel toys TSA Yosemite