Many travelers are surprised to learn that Costa Rica, though still categorized as a developing nation and famed for its rugged and largely unpaved roads, has car seat laws. What may surprise traveling parents even more, however, is to learn that those car seat and safety booster laws are actually stricter than current child passenger safety laws in California—or elsewhere in the United States.
Fortunately, most major airlines still grant passengers free checked or gate-checked car seats and boosters (call your airline if you’re not sure). But if you have already discarded your booster once used by your 11-year-old and have no immediate plans of travel to the U.K. or anywhere else he might still need one, or you want to travel as light as possible to Costa Rica, you can opt to rent a car seat or booster along with your rental car, with rates ranging from $5 per day per car seat or booster from Thrifty SJO to Avis’s unknown rate TBD at time of rental (no thanks!).
How about you?
Do you have a helpful Costa Rica travel tip or suggestion for families? Comment below or contact me about sharing your recommendations.
Related posts and pages:
5 Best with Children Under 5: Costa Rica, Santa Teresa / Malpais
5 things I wish I’d known before moving my children to Costa Rica
Best car seats for travel
Car seat alternatives for travel
P.S. I should mention that I found Vamos 4×4 on my own and they did not sponsor this post, nor are they giving me a free set of wheels in Costa Rica.
Copyright notice: All content of this blog (c) 2007 – 2011 Shelly Rivoli
- "99 of the Best Travel Blogs" from TravelBlogs.com "10 Best Family Travel Blogs" from Blogs.com "Top 10 Family Travel Blogs" from TripBase.com "Top 25 Travel Blogs for Families" and "#2 for Insider Tips and Tricks" from Babble.com
- Paris with Kids: Make a post-Louvre pit stop at this playground in the Tuileries
- Ask Shelly: Recommended backpack diaper bag for travel?
- Paris with Kids: Why and how to get the Paris Museum Pass for your family’s visit
- Quinny Yezz winner and… what would you like to see next?
- Last chance! Enter to win the Quinny Yezz travel stroller ($279 value)
- Pack This! Family road trip tunes from Ziggy Marley
- Kauai’s best north shore beaches for kids
- Quinny Yezz travel stroller sweepstakes! ($279 value)
- Photo Fave: My Mother’s Day… by jeep!
- Photo Fave: Travels with Grandma, reaching new heights in Costa Rica
- Pack This! Speedo easy-packing swim vest for toddlers and little kids
- The best playground in Paris? Say bonjour to Parc de Jeux.