Of the many unexpected tips I included in Travels with Baby, some of my favorite reactions have been in response to my suggestion to pack garden training wire. If you’re scratching your head, I’ll explain: It’s a fine, flexible wire that’s coated with plastic (usually green). Sure, training wire is great for supporting tender vines in the garden, but it also comes in very handy when you can’t be sure of the furniture at your destination. While there are adjustable and temporary childproofing cabinet locks, you can’t always be sure they’ll work on Grandma’s china cabinet, Uncle Bo’s liquor cabinet, Cousin Fred’s filing cabinet–or any other cabinet, drawer, or cupboard your child might become obsessed with during your vacation. Garden training wire, however, can help with just about any configuration of cabinet latches, drawer pulls, and closet knobs, if need be. The plastic coating keeps it from scratching surfaces, and you can cut it to the desired length with baby toenail clippers (in case you don’t have scissors along). It’s inexpensive and takes up very little space in the suitcase, so you can loop the loop for maximum protection. Here’s a link to a picture of the stuff and a 50 foot roll of garden training wire to get you started.
Shelly Rivoli, author of Travels with Baby
The Ultimate Guide for Planning Trips with Babies, Toddlers, and Preschool-Age Children
- "99 of the Best Travel Blogs" from TravelBlogs.com "10 Best Family Travel Blogs" from Blogs.com "Top 10 Family Travel Blogs" from TripBase.com "Top 25 Travel Blogs for Families" and "#2 for Insider Tips and Tricks" from Babble.com
Like this page? Please share!
- Kauai’s best north shore beaches for kids
- Quinny Yezz travel stroller sweepstakes! ($279 value)
- Photo Fave: My Mother’s Day… by jeep!
- Photo Fave: Travels with Grandma, reaching new heights in Costa Rica
- Pack This! Speedo easy-packing swim vest for toddlers and little kids
- The best playground in Paris? Say bonjour to Parc de Jeux.
- Photo Fave: Iao Valley banyan tree, Maui
- The 5 best places to visit California’s giant redwoods and giant sequoias
- Puerto Rico with Kids: San Juan’s 5 Best Activities for Kids Under 5
- Photo Fave: Shark tunnel at Maui Ocean Center
- Maui Ocean Center with kids: Our visit to the Hawaiian Aquarium
- How to find Maui’s north shore Baby Beach – when you need it most