Kauai is home to three gardens that are part of the “National Tropical Botanical Garden”: Limahuli Garden, which is located in the wetter north of the island; and the McBryde and Allerton Gardens, which are both located in the south near Poipu, and share this entrance.
If you’re visiting Kauai with young children, be aware that the most famous of the three, Allerton Garden, does not allow children under 10 years old to enter the garden, which you can have fun explaining to your daughters in the gift shop as they stare at the large poster of two girls clearly under 10 years old posing in the roots of the landmark Jurassic Park tree they won’t be visiting. (Yes, I left a comment in the guest book.)
Unlike the Allerton Garden’s 2 1/2 hour guided tour (no self-guided option), the McBryde Garden runs shuttle trams for self-guided tourists and their young children, with trams leaving every hour on the half hour, and returning to the visitors center every hour on the hour until 4 p.m. Make sure to purchase your tickets and be present before 2 p.m. to catch the last tram of the day – and better still, plan to take an earlier tour in case the garden closes early for a private event.
Even if you arrive too late for a tour, or just want a taste of the tropical gardens without the cost of the tickets, there is much to see exploring the free areas around the Visitors Center and Gift Shops (with restrooms), and our kids had a blast running across the sweeping lawns and adventuring through small paths in the shady floral jungle. Combine your visit, whether quick or leisurely, with a stop at the Spouting Horn nearly across the road from the driveway.
- Dressed cute for a cause in Kauai
- Kauai’s best beach for babies and toddlers
- Juice truck at Hanalei
- Pop-up sun tent for family vacations in Hawaii, Thailand, Mexico…
- "99 of the Best Travel Blogs" from TravelBlogs.com "10 Best Family Travel Blogs" from Blogs.com "Top 10 Family Travel Blogs" from TripBase.com "Top 25 Travel Blogs for Families" and "#2 for Insider Tips and Tricks" from Babble.com
Like this page? Please share!
- Quinny Yezz travel stroller sweepstakes! ($279 value)
- Photo Fave: My Mother’s Day… by jeep!
- Photo Fave: Travels with Grandma, reaching new heights in Costa Rica
- Pack This! Speedo easy-packing swim vest for toddlers and little kids
- The best playground in Paris? Say bonjour to Parc de Jeux.
- Photo Fave: Iao Valley banyan tree, Maui
- The 5 best places to visit California’s giant redwoods and giant sequoias
- Puerto Rico with Kids: San Juan’s 5 Best Activities for Kids Under 5
- Photo Fave: Shark tunnel at Maui Ocean Center
- Maui Ocean Center with kids: Our visit to the Hawaiian Aquarium
- How to find Maui’s north shore Baby Beach – when you need it most
- Maui’s Ulua Beach: Today I am a Mom